Comms Final 6 Page See attached.
it is 6 pages, and i prefer the topic on climate change.
Due on 5th dec 1
ENGAGED SOCIAL MEDIA
CAMPAIGN CONCEPT PROPOSAL
Coms 401: Performance and Social Change
Dr. Jenna Delgado
The Concept Proposal Paper
is due December 13th before 1:45pm
and is worth 100 points.
Engaged Social Media Campaign Concept Proposal
For the final assignment of this course, you will develop a 6-page paper proposing a concept design for an
engaged social media campaign. The goal of the campaign is to help raise the profile and create change
for one of the social justice issues listed below. With this assignment, you are free to either choose to
build upon the original content you created in one of your Social Media Engagement Activities or you can
pursue a new topic from those listed below.
NOTE: THIS ASSIGNMENT ONLY REQUIRES YOU TO CREATE A DESIGN CONCEPT –
YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MAKE NEW CONTENT!!
Proposal Development Meetings
You will be required to meet with the professor at least once prior to December 3rd to check in about the
development of your project. Prepare and bring your preliminary research for Section I and Section II
(described below) to your first meeting with the professor. During this check in, you may be instructed to
schedule additional follow up meetings to further discuss the development of your project (these would
also be required).
Concept Proposal Goal
The goal of the concept proposal is to develop a multi-layered, thoughtful, well considered performance
for social change via engaged social media. Therefore, your campaign should include at least 3 original
social media posts of original content connected by a singular creative/conceptual vision. All your content
must be designed to help create social change for the same social justice issue.
1) Pick ONE of the following social justice issues in the United States:
(a) Climate Change/Environmental Justice
(b) Housing Justice/Homelessness/Gentrification
(c) Indigenous Rights/Cultural Appropriation
(d) Voter suppression/the Voting Rights Act
(e) the MORE Act/Federal & state drug penalties
(f) Reproductive Justice
(g) Policing in the U.S./the Campaign to End Qualified Immunity
2) Define a specific population that possess systemic power over this issue.
3) Design a social media campaign (multi-layered and/or multi-platformed content) that targets
this demographic/population/community with customized messaging to move this population
to act on the issue.
Use an essay structure. Using these section headings to organize the paper. Address each the following
prompts using ONLY credible sources.
Section I: Historical Context (2 pages)
• Introduce the social justice issue and define the geographical/sociological scope of its impact
Define what population experiences negative social consequences and what population has the
systemic power to improve it.
• Detail the demographic/population/community which is negatively impacted and whose social
conditions your campaign will focus on affecting.
§ Explain the negative effects this social justice issue creates.
§ Include historical and sociological sources to support your arguments.
• Detail the relevant institutions and demographic/population/community possessing systemic
power to change this issue.
§ Explain the relevant power this group has to create social change and include an
explanation of why this power exists as it does within this population.
§ Include historical and sociological sources to help support your arguments.
• Explain what has been done historically to address this issue (in society at large and within the
demographic/population/community negatively impacted).
Section II: Social Media Design and Aesthetics (2 pages)
• Describe the specific cultural elements and art practices historically relevant to your targeted
demographic/population/community (e.g., important symbols / icons / locations / public figures /
rituals / traditions / events / language-s / popular artists / etc.)
• Explain your choice of symbols/icons/figures/events/language that you have chosen for your
campaign, including why they do or do not reflect known cultural elements/art practices of your
• Explain the various designs of the content that you are proposing for this campaign, explain how
it uses your choice of symbols/icons/figures/events/language and the historical connection
between the demographic/population/community that you are targeting and your proposed
• Describe the customized message and the specific action requested of the target
• Describe how your messaging enlists cultural elements to influence your targeted
demographic/population/community to think/act differently regarding the social justice issue.
Section III: Engagement for Social Change (1 page)
• Explain what your social media campaign is attempting to make the target
demographic/population/community do differently regarding the social justice issue.
• Explain your reasoning for why this approach will be effective with the target
demographic/population/community, including a consideration of how your approach relates to
what has been done historically to address this issue.
• Explain specifically how the social justice issue can improve if the target
demographic/population/community does what the campaigns asks.
Section IV: Strategic Goals (1 page)
• List and describe the specific goals of your campaign.
• Explain the existing organizations or movements whose existing goals can benefit from your
campaign (e.g grass roots organizations, non-profits, an activist network, etc.). Explain how your
campaign can help increase the visibility of the existing movement. Explain how your content
fits into their strategic plan.
• Explain how achievable these goals are considering the content you have proposed, the target
demographic/population/community, the social justice issue, community collaborators, and the
demographic/population/community impacted by it.
Works Cited Page
• You must use at least 10 sources to research this project.
• You must include at least 2 of the course readings to theorize your aesthetic and tactical choices.
• All citations must be in MLA formatting.
• All information that you present in your paper must be rigorously sourced. (No generic online
informational sites – e.g. WebMD; no aggregated, crowd sourced sites – e.g. Google, Wikipedia;
no generic online thesauri or dictionaries – e.g. dictionary.com; no popular media/streaming
content – documentaries or broadcast news features; do not rely or include personal
proclamations, opinions, nor observations; do not attempt interviews or field work; anecdotal
information will not be accepted.)
• All sources must be credible (peer reviewed academic publications, reputable journalism, or
• All sources of borrowed aesthetic content must be cited, but do not count toward your total
The proposal should be title “Engaged Social Media Campaign Concept Proposal.” Remember to
include your name, the course name, the date of submission in the upper right-hand corner of the
document. Submit the paper as a double-spaced word document (.doc or .docx) with 1-inch
margins; use Times New Roman or Arial font; use 11 pt. font size; number pages in the upper
right-hand corner; and cite sources using MLA formatting.
The Engaged Social Media Campaign Concept Proposal is due
December 13th by 1:45pm and is
worth 100 points.