critique of research article (scholarly articles only) – question attached
A research critique demonstrates your ability to critically read an investigative study. For this assignment, choose a research article related to nursing.
· Articles used for this assignment cannot be used for the other assignments (students should find new research articles for each new assignment).
· The selected articles should be original research articles. Review articles, concept analysis, meta-analysis, meta-synthesis, integrative review, and systemic review should not be used.
· Mixed-methods studies should not be used.
· Dissertations should not be used.
Your critique should include the following:
· State the problem clearly as it is presented in the report.
· Have the investigators placed the study problem within the context of existing knowledge?
· Will the study solve a problem relevant to nursing?
· State the purpose of the research.
Review of the Literature
· Identify the concepts explored in the literature review.
· Were the references current? If not, what do you think the reasons are?
· Was there evidence of reflexivity in the design (qualitative)?
· Are the theoretical concepts defined and related to the research?
· Does the research draw solely on nursing theory or does it draw on theory from other disciplines?
· Is a theoretical framework stated in this research piece?
· If not, suggest one that might be suitable for the study.
· What are the independent and dependent variables in this study?
· Are the operational definitions of the variables given? If so, are they concrete and measurable?
· Is the research question or the hypothesis stated? What is it?
Conceptual Underpinnings, Research Questions (Qualitative)
· Are key concepts defined conceptually?
· Is the philoosoophical basis, underlying tradition, conoceptual framework, or ideological orientation made explicit and is it appropriate for the problem?
· Are research questions explicitly stated? Are the questions consistent with the study’s philosophical basis, underlying tradition, conceptual framework, or ideological orientation?
· What type of design (quantitative, qualitative, and type) was used in this study?
· Was inductive or deductive reasoning used in this study?
· State the sample size and study population, sampling method, and study setting.
· Did the investigator choose a probability or non-probability sample?
· State the type of reliability and the validity of the measurement tools (quantitative only)
Qualitative studies (answer the following questions in addition to those above except the last bulleted item)
· Were the methods of gathering data appropriate?
· Were data gathered through two or more methods to achieve triangulation?
· Did the researcher ask the right questions or make the right observations and were they recorded in an appropriate fashion?
· Was a sufficient amount of data gathered?
· Was the data of sufficient depth and richness?
Were ethical considerations addressed? Were appropriate procedures used to safeguard the rights of study participants?
· What data analysis tool was used?
· Was saturation achieved? (qualitative)
· How were the results presented in the study?
· Were the data management (e.g., coding) and data analysis methods sufficiently described? (qualitative)
· Identify at least one (1) finding.
Summary/Conclusions, Implications, and Recommendations
· Do the themes adequately capture the meaning of the data?
· Did the analysis yield an insightful, provocative and meaningful picture of the phenomenon under investigation?
· Were methods used to enhance the trustworthiness of the data (and analysis) and was the description of those methods adequate?
· Are there clear explanation of the boundaries/limitations, thick description, audit trail?
· What are the strengths and limitations of the study?
· In terms of the findings, can the researcher generalize to other populations? Explain.
· Evaluate the findings and conclusions as to their significance for nursing (both qualitative and quantitative).
The body of your paper should be 4–6 double-spaced pages plus a cover page and a reference page. The critique must be attached to the article and follow APA guidelines.
You must submit the research study articles along with your assignment.
Review the rubric for further information on how your assignment will be graded.