Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Strategies for Teachers to Develop Positive Relationships With Students (Links to an external site.) and Principles of Effective Family Engagement (Links to an external site.). An important step in preparing our classrooms and curriculum is getting to know our students as individuals and building a relationship that is reciprocal and characterized by trust. Jaruszewicz (2019) discusses the importance of building individual connections, stating that building trust requires connecting with each child on a personal level, so that they know you care about them and what happens to them, are curious about what they think, and firm with them when they need guidance. These things give children the emotional security they need to share with you their impressions, confidences, questions, and fears—information you can use to develop, adapt, and personalize whatever curriculum you use to best represent what your children know and do. (section 3.3, para. 32)
Notice how Jaruszewicz emphasizes that knowing the students as individuals allows for designing individualized curriculum which is more aligned with their needs. In this discussion, we explore the importance of building trust with students to gain insights into how to best meet their needs in an education environment.
To prepare for this discussion,
· Read chapters 1–3 in your course text.
· Review the Week 1 Guidance.
In your initial post,
· Discuss at least one strategy you will use to gather information on your students in an effort to get to know them and their family (interest inventory, home visit, etc.).
· Include the benefits of the strategy and use a specific example of how you plan to implement it in your classroom.
· Reflect on the reading Strategies for Teachers to Develop Positive Relationships With Students (Links to an external site.).
· Discuss two approaches you will use to build trust with each of your students and why you believe these approaches will be effective.
· Reflect on the reading Principles of Effective Family Engagement (Links to an external site.).
· Discuss two approaches you will use to build trust with families and why you believe these approaches will be effective.